Become a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
We rely on volunteers to help with many aspects of our shelter operations.
Your generosity in donating your time can have a huge impact
on the lives of many animals in our shelter.
VOLUNTEER APPLICANT INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS
Commitment Volunteers must be willing to provide at least eight (8) hours of service per month, for a minimum of three (3) months in addition to volunteer orientation or training attendance. We encourage volunteers to commit to a minimum two (2) hour shift in a regular schedule, such as on a regular weekly basis. You must schedule your volunteer time with the Columbia Humane Society office prior to arriving at the shelter.
Age The minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old.
Restrictions We are a small shelter with limited resources to provide direction and supervision to volunteers. Therefore, our volunteer program is not appropriate for everyone. If volunteering directly with animals is not a good fit, you can still help us help the cats and dogs. Please contact the Shelter Manager about individual opportunities.
Applying You must complete the volunteer application and personally deliver it to the shelter office at the address below, so we can meet you. To match prospective volunteers with the shelter needs, we ask you to answer all questions in detail. If your skills, experience, interests, and availability meet our current needs, you will be contacted within 30 days. Please understand that we are unable to accept every applicant.
Orientation You must attend a volunteer orientation within 30 days of approval or your application will be recycled. You must meet with the volunteer coordinator to schedule your shift and any mandatory training session.
Training You must attend a training session for dog handling positions, for the safety of our volunteers and our dogs.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS
Volunteer for Daily Shift (Positions are scheduled on Tuesday to Saturday from 11am to 5pm in two (2) hour shifts.)
- Kennel Assisting Assist the shelter staff with feeding, medicating, cleaning, and moving dogs. Additional training session is required. Shift is from 3pm-5pm.
- Dog Walking Socialize the dogs with a walk or play in the exercise area. Additional training session is required.
- Cat Socializing Socialize the cats in the cattery. Assist the shelter staff with grooming and cleaning.
- Food Bagging Bag pet food and can donations.
- Cleaning /Laundry Assist the shelter staff with laundry, dish washing, and general cleaning.
Volunteer as Needed (Positions are scheduled and will be called on when necessary.)
- Animal Fostering Provide temporary care in your home for shelter animals needing special attention. Additional application and foster care training session is required.
- Office Assisting Assist the shelter manager with duties that include: answer phones, input data, filing, run in shelter errands, etc. Appropriate office background and data entry experience required. Shift is three (3) hours.
- Transporting Assist with animal transports, donation and supply pick up. You must have a valid driver's license.
- Photographing Assist the shelter staff with photographing the dogs and cats available for adoption. You must have experience in taking professional quality photos and working knowledge of digital photography online.
- Adoption Events Attend offsite adoption events. Assist with transport of animals to offsite locations.
- Grant Writing Assist the Grant Writing Committee. Grant writing course or related experience is required.
- Fundraising Assist the Fundraising Committee with a variety of fundraising events and membership drives.
Questions? Call or Email us today:
Columbia Humane Society
2084 Oregon Street
Tuesday–Saturday: 11:00am to 5:00pm
Map to Columbia Humane Society
Located inside of the
Come visit! We'd love to see you.